04 July 2009

Fruit of the Day: Maçá

I almost saved the starfruit for today's homage to the U. S. of A., but in the end I chose a fruit that I could transform into a delicious American-style dessert to share with all the people here in Salvador who have made us feel so at home.

The maçá isn't a sand dollar, but I guess this close to the beach, everything adopts a certain theme.

Maçá is Portuguese for apple, and this is a Granny Smith imported all the way from Chile. Right now it's peeled, cored, sliced, and nestled in a pie crust with a few of its equally tart, green amigos, and will be served up in about an hour with a scoop or two of the closest thing we could find to vanilla ice cream. (I think it's called "creme" -- I was more than tempted by the coconut flavour, but the American half of our operation is a stickler for tradition. And I think he misses the fireworks today, so who am I to argue?)
UFF Fruit Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment